View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Re: A hand from SSHE would like discussion

I must admit, I've never been fully comfortable with this example in SSHE. I think I sometimes fall into the spewmonkey category by always thinking I should raise/fold when the bet comes from right in a decent pot.

Firstly, is the play here read-dependent on the late position bettor? There are many regular players at my 2/4 table that are only betting this with at minimum top pair (a lot of weak players don't bet draws or middle pair when it is checked round to them). Does it still make sense to charge ourselves more when there is a good chance (if read is correct) that we have to improve to win? How much do we gain by knocking out opponents when we still have to improve to win?

Secondly, I don't believe SSHE explains what the plan on the turn is (although I could be wrong, I don't have the book in front of me). So we raise the flop, then what? If we get a couple of callers do we simply check the turn UI, or are we forced to bet? Even if we get it heads up, are we again forced to bet UI? Again, at my 2/4 table I'm usually betting into a bigger hand at this point. So I guess the plan is now to check UI and see if we have the odds to continue if bet into?

GcluelessnoobG