View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Futurist Magazine\'s Top 10 Predictions for 2008 and Beyond

1) I think this says more about the devaluation of $1 million over the years than it does about widespread prosperity. (I assume we're talking about net worth).

2) is pretty banal

3) is fairly standard, depending on what they mean by "another cold war"

4) I don't know nearly enough about the state of printing technology to comment. This might say more about how slow the US has been to update their money.

5) I think "event" is a poor choice of words, but I can't disagree with the the gist of it (extinctions continuing to occur at relatively massive rate)

6) A bit sensationalized. Water will continue to become more important and oil less, but it almost certainly won't drive the global economy like oil did/does. Water will be very big, but the dynamics will be very different from oil.

7) "May grow faster than expected" has to be the emptiest statement of the lot.

8) Without seeing the numbers, this sounds reasonable, but it may say more about how few Africans are imperiled by floods right now than it does about massive numbers in the future.

9) Don't know what they mean by a "full scale rush to develop the arctic". I expect large % increases, but the base levels are so low that this doesn't say too much. The mineral wealth will obviously be exploited, but the quality of lumber is low and don't get me started on freshwater. Environmental risks caused by the opening up of arctic shipping lanes is far more significant, IMHO.

10) I can't agree with the idea that political decisions will be made by "non-carbon life forms". This will be resisted to the very end.