View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 02:48 PM

Default PB Dissertation Ch2: Some Quick Fixes

For this part of my Pooh-Bah Dissertation I'm going to focus on some leaks I've plugged in my game over the last few years. These are relatively quick fixes and should be easy to apply to your games. Please note that some of these are intended for use in live, loose games, and really are not applicable in tight TAG online games. Just making these adjustments alone have helped transform me from a 0.5 BB/hr winner in 4/8 to a 3+BB/hr winner in 8/16-10/20.

1) Dont try to steal the blinds with tough-to-play hands.

Because live games offer so many opportunities for profit, it is really not necessary to attack and attempt to steal blinds with regularity. Although Stox book will tell you to steal with hands like A3o, K7o, etc, I have not found these steals to be particularly profitable in these types of games. Because these hands require you to "play with one card," as it were, and because usaully both blinds at least call you when you raise, you are going to be faced with the uncomfortable situation of having to pair your one card on the flop, as both of your opponents will likely call you to the river with any pair/draw. The profitability of these steals is also diminished by the abysmally high rake in live limit games.

Hands that are ok to steal, however, are those like T9s, T8s, K9s. Because you are using both of your cards, and because your opponents call down so much, if you flop middle pair with these hands you are likely to win.

In short, in general when stealing blinds, make things easy for yourself. Only do it with hands that play well postflop - otherwise pass on these marginal situations and wait for better ones.

2) Understand that pot odds are the key to limit hold em.

When I started playing this game, I read a lot of things like hold is a game of "domination," a game of "high cards," a game of "TPTK." etc. Although all of these concepts have merit, they are ultimately trumped by pot odds. If you are getting 10:1 on your money, it doesnt matter that your KJ might be dominated. You have to get in there and gamble. Similarly, avoid playing by fit or fold rules on the flop. Theres a lot of nonsense out there these days like, "if you flop middle pair, fold asap," or "only chase a two-pair draw if your kicker can beat the board." These rules are designed to keep beginners from losing their wallets, but following them blindy will simply cost you profit. Pay attention to your pot odds, anticipate the pay off, anticpate the risks, and make a decision then. Dont use cookie cutter rules you got from a book.

3) Have a plan for every hand you play.

Whenever I have a play a hand preflop, I try to anticipate possible flops and my plan for when I flop them. For example, if i have a small pocket pair, what is my plan when i flop a set? If i have a suited connector, how will I play bottom pair? If I flop a flush draw, how can I make sure a lot of money goes in the pot multiway? This will keep you focused on the action and help you consistently make the best decision.

4) pay attention to whats going on at the table when you're not in the hand.

A common complaint, especially from online players, is that the pace of a live limit game is too slow. This might be true if all you do is play the cards you are dealt when you are dealt them. However, to realize maximize your profit, you should be paying attention to every hand that is played at the table, whether you are in it or not. Figure out who the aggressive players are and who the passives are. Figure out who is capable of bluffing the turn or river and who isnt. If a bad player sits down, watch and see if players on his left try to isolate him - and then punish these isolations with 3 bets! Another favorite exercise of mine is to pretend that I am actually in the hand. In other words, pretend you are actually playing that 89o UTG. how would you play the flop? Doing so should keep your postflop thinking skills sharp.

5) Dont be a pessimist or look like a loser at the table.

This was something I struggled with for a long time. During my losing streak some years ago, I pretty much sat down at at table expecting to lose. I got irritated at every beat, shouted "why do I run so bad!!" repeatedly, and smirked cynically when I finally won a pot. Having an attitude like this is not conducive to winning poker. First, people arent goign to like playing with you. They'll probably avoid you, "respect your raises" and minimize your take on your good hands. Second, when people are in a hand with you, they are going to take shots. They are going to try to run you down, b/c they think you're unlucky. They'll bluff you more. Inevitably you will get more bad beats, throw away winners, and aggravate your state of tilt/bad play.

Even though a session might be going bad, try not have an attitude at the table. be friendly with your neighbors, laugh and joke. order a beer or two. remember, limit hold em is most profitable in a happy, gambling atmosphere. leave the grouchiness and the intimidation to the WSOP.

Anyways, I hope you guys liked these tips. Good luck at the tables!

Kit C

---End Chapter 2---