View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Apparently songs are worth $9250 each...Dumb Jury

The Grateful Dead (anybody remember them?) always allowed people to tape their concerts, and to give away or trade tapes. Their only restriction was that the tapes not be sold. Although they sold several albums, they were always, first and foremost, a concert band.

I'm not sure what's going to happen with IP law. I think there is value in IP, in that it helps to see that creative people get paid for the fruits of their labor, but I think the old model is probably unenforceable in the digital age. The old model used to work because there was a significant economic barrier to publication. Not just anybody could afford a printing press, or equipment to master and press records or CD's. Now anybody with a PC and an internet connection can distribute music, movies, pictures or written content. I think the old model of IP is going to prove untenable. I'm not sure what's going to replace it.

Currently, the people who made a lot of money on the old model, especially the RIAA are in full panic mode, but I think they are bailing out the Titanic with a teaspoon. Their businesses are about as viable as that of a buggy whip maker in 1915.