View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Movie Review: The Proposition

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I heard that Nick Cave had written the screenplay for a "western" set in Australia, I knew I had to see it.

This is a great movie. It is really beautifully shot, very well acted, has a great soundtrack, and was just all-around a real pleasure.

This is a pretty damned dark film, but it's not just a 2-hour movie cliche. Those of you who love movies ought to jump on the Netflix if you haven't seen it yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. I wouldn't put it up there with something like "Unforgiven" but it was pretty damn good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's tough not to see some very basic similarities. Most notably, the very grim, very unromantic nature of that period.

I actually have no problem mentioning these films in the same breath, because I think each has aspects that make it genuinely excellent in its own right.

For instance, I think The Proposition is superior in its cinematographic beauty, and in its soundtrack.

I think the character development and acting is probably a little better in Unforgiven.

Either way, it's a newer breed of Western that aims for realism rather than romanticism.

I mean, what happened to Clint Eastwood between Pale Rider (blecch) and Unforgiven?

Anyway, I would put these movies in the same class.