View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Basic Question - High Ante\'s No Fold\'em 7Stud

Thank you for your time... I have some comments on the responses, I hope you recognise your extracts.

[ QUOTE ]
The loose games section of 7CS4AP has a lot of good information for this kind of game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, if I play more 7Stud I'll certainly get it, I have the Hi/Lo split one, but 7Stud8 games are hard to find at time I play usually on site where I have to clear bonuses.

[ QUOTE ]
Playing much tighter is one strategy. You'll lose more often with your premium hands but you'll win MUCH more when you do win.

But I prefer to play more speculative hands, ...

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I agree I found No Fold'em Hold'em very profitable, and enjoyed multi-way action. If 'tighter' means fewer hands, that's poor strategy in my book, I play more hands but less agressively pre-flop unless it's a wild game pre-flop (where I Rock up and especially in early-pos play sooper-nitty pre-flop).

In 7Stud it's tougher to really pump the pot, because you can't rely on stable position, nor a previous betting round bettor to feel obliged to bet again. As the field, know I'm going to be there with a hand, they tend to be wary of raising me.

Also the very high ante's, and reduced chance of a 'best' hand holding up, would appear to suggest playing tight (few hands) would make it hard to break even that way.

[ QUOTE ]
It seems like that type of game is exactly what any poker player (in any game) is looking for. You WANT people playing garbage hands and calling all the way down trying to suck out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, but adopting the right strategy for the game structure is still important.

[ QUOTE ]

When you have the most equity in a pot, it's to your advantage if people are calling down - even if they are mathmatically correct in doing so.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is true, if there's no betting in later rounds. Though you may prefer folds to calls, because good draws are 'raking' a large proportion of each caller's contribution.

However that ignores bluffing, many poor players go too far with hopeless hands, and then finally take a 'shot' at the pot, frequently running you into surprise improved hands, held by a player who you wouldn't need to pay off. As the pot is large, you frequently lose money on the river, which may make a 'best' hand with marginal pot equity unprofitable.

[ QUOTE ]
these are the most beatable games there are. For the bring in, play ... Remember, some of these players will start with basically nothing, so your pair of Ts unimproved are good way often enough to call one more bet head up in a 10BB+ pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for a succinct answer that really answers my question. That makes sense to me and was the area I was heading in, loosening up considerably over a low ante game starting hand advice.

I didn't want to spend a lot of time, heading off on the wrong direction, so I shall look forward to my bone-crushing beats (though they cannot be any worse than my Omaha ones), and give the game another shot, when I'm feeling up for a real brain game!