View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 04:31 AM

Default Re: LV Hilton closing poker room 10/17

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
which is why I think 4/8 as an intermediate step between 3/6 and 6/12 is a practical idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

YMMV but in my experience this is incorrect. If a room spreads $4-8 it eats the next higher and next lower limit. It is perfectly logical that if you spread $4-8, $6-12 would be the next step and you should be able to maintain a $6-12 limit game with no problem but the real world doesn't seem to match that perception.

Especially now since NL has eaten limit poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking mostly of rooms where there is no next higher limit, but you want to build toward it. If you have a sufficiently large 3/6 base, then it is sustainable even if 4/8 eats at it a bit (and you don't mind if a 3/6 tables turns into a 4/8 table if you are running a room, as long as it doesn't make the table break sooner), and if you do get a sustainable 6/12 then you have the option of cutting out either 3/6 or 4/8.

I've talked to a few people who normally play 6/12 or 10/20 and it sounds like some of them would never let themselves be seen playing 3/6 while waiting, but might find 4/8 a tolerable level to go slumming while on a list. I've also talked to a few 3/6 players, who are willing to take shots at 4/8 if it cuts down their wait but not 6/12. That doesn't mean that everyone is that snobby or timid, but there are a few.