View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 02:45 AM

Default Re: 50NL; AK --> 3bet pot --> flop TPTK ->>Fold??

[ QUOTE ]
Hasn't the hand been misplayed?
Why aren't we raising on flop?
And for that matter, why are we not re-raising preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling 3bets in position with AK is fine. You can still extract money in position on an A or K high flop. It disguises the times you just call pre-flop 3bets with AA,KK, or QQ with position which is also good to do sometimes. (Plus in this particular situation AK is likely not too far ahead of his 3bet range....if it even is actually.) I think I mght actually rather fold than 4bet here. And I barely barely barely ever fold AK pre-flop especially versus only one other opponent....could probably count the # of times I folded pre-flop vs. one opponent on 1 hand perhaps with fingers left over.

Raising the flop would IMO be very bad. Name one hand worse than AK that calls a raise on the flop. Answer: There aren't any. Name hands better than AK that fold to a raise on the flop. Answer: There aren't any.

Also this is where the extracting on an A or K high board after calling a pre-flop 3bet comes into play. Even on a safe looking board like Kc9d3s I'm not going to raise villian's bet there. Why? Answer: Why do I want to try to make QQ,JJ fold? I'd just call flop bet. If he pushes turn I probably call on that board precisely because QQ,JJ don't beat me unlike the actual hand were QQ does beat me. However, usually villian will then check turn. I then check behind. Now a lot of times villian will bet river and I shove if there's anything left. If villian checks river I make like 55%-65% bet and extract more value.

The only time I might raise a flop bet is on an extremely drawy board although even raising there in this situation is very unlikely because the way this hand is setup with my raising UTG, being reraised by BB I doubt draws would be much of his range if at all and the only real way I can think of it is if he's got AKs or maybe AQs or if the board comes out monotone or reall connected so one card in the hole could make a straight draw. So anyway here I probably just call bet on most drawy flops as well.

In the example hand the only reason it might be at all close to a call is because the T on the turn just gave JJ an open ended straight draw. (If turn were a 2 I've come to believe this a fairly trivial fold...that Q really is troublesome.) However, for villian to shove turn with a J IMO......1.) He has to be a good player who also thinks that I'm a good player and that I can fold at least AK here. 2.) He has to be a pretty bad player who is aggro and either bets a ton and/or shoves draws. IMO most players at this level would not shove JJ here unless it fits into category one. However, I do believe most would shove AK.

BTW villian showed his cards after I folded.