View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 12:01 AM

Default Re: WSOP on ESPN thread (10/9 - ME Final Table)

[ QUOTE ]

Yang: I think the A9 call vs Watkinson was terrible. I also think his consistent raising of 5-10X the BB is pretty gross. I watched the entire FT, and although Yang didn't play awful in the sense that he played very aggressively, it is extremely obvious he lacks fundamentals in his play. The JTo all-in call and the A5o call after Rahme reraised him huge are two of many instances that come to mind.

Another is the hand where he c/r Lam, by far the tightest player at the table, w/ 2nd pair, AT, for value. That hand is one example of many instances where Yang could have easily been in terrible shape, but ended up being in a coinflip type situation when the money went in.

I will say this: If Yang realized he sucks at poker and could never compete w/ the other players at the table, I think he played pretty well as his bet sizing eliminated a lot of skill from the tournament. I also think Yang is a tool and don't care how "nice" he is. Praying at the table and calling other players/Norman Chad your "idol" sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, obviously Yang is lacking on some levels, but he correctly pushed big bets with people who just playing such weak small-ball poker.

People keep calling out his oversize preflop raises. Yes, that is a small technical error, but if your opponents play horribly against strange size raises, it's not really a bad thing. And if you have the big stack and everyone is scared to repop you, it's pretty powerful.

Knowing that he was not the "best" player at the table, Yang played something like the right style to maximize his chances - push hard, make marginal calls, try to get in races when you're the chip leader, make everyone else risk going out.