View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 11:07 PM

Default Re: do you work/study in the tech field?

Wintel Systems Admin for large Healthcare company for 3 years now, first real job out of school amazingly. Apparently I know what I'm doing or something...

Dislikes:
Dealing with people. I'd much rather tinker and toodle with servers and server technologies then deal with peoples problems. Comes with the job though and in lots of cases is rewarding, but if I could eliminate it entirely woot, dream job. Its not as bad as I make it sound.

I get to make decisions on technologies for tens of thousands of dollars, build and maintain servers that have direct patient impact and are extremely vital to the operation of the clinical system. Ego Trip Woot. Oh and I'm not the Exchange admin thank god.

Typical day, well, I have no typical day. But I usually spend at least 2-3 hours a day doing general overall monitoring and some basic maintenance of the 90ish physical servers and 80 virtual servers. 2-3 hours of general project work on whatever and the rest is a mix of side pet projects, side scripting/coding jobs (the companies user creation application for our active directory was written by me) and techie "upkeep".

And of course spread throughout the day I hit 2+2 and other time waster sites like fark, digg and /.

This morning I watched last nights Heroes episode because I missed it. Thank god for extremely high speed 'net and NBC posting the full episode without commercials and being an admin thats not locked down [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]