View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Emotional Affairs

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know exsubmariner. I've know a lot of different guys and if you ask me they seem to be very much in control of their lives and their emotions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Control of my actions is very different from control of my emotions. In fact, I'm not sure anyone can really control their emotions. We say "control your anger" or some such, but what we really mean is don't act on it.

I have lots of emotions that flow through me from time to time that I wish didn't. Longings, depressions, angers, that I can't control. Sometimes I feel guilty about some of them, but then I realize it's out of my control.They come and go, sometimes on trigger points, sometimes randomly.

What I can control is how I act on them (or, usually, don't act on them). Many people who know me think I'm cold and detached. It's really quite the opposite. I churn heavily internally and learned to be very tightly controlled in my behaviors as a counter.

Not that I'm evil inside or anything [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], but when I see someone flip out over something I have a certain empathy along with my disgust that they let their self control go.