View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Emotional Affairs

[ QUOTE ]
Am I coming off as cynical when I say that this is unfortunate on some levels if it is the "best" way of looking at it....because most people are entirely unaware of their own limitations?

Is that me being observant of society or not giving them enough credit?

I do agree though. I think that it is a wonderful way to avoid bad situations, especially regarding emotional affairs. If you know your own limitations, truly, then you really can't go wrong as long as you're smart enough not to try and say, "Oh, well this can be an exception...." Because then you're in trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think people are a static quantity, or a uniform one. We take it for granted that we have to grow as children. Why do we so quickly rush to sit on our laurels, however undistinguished, as adults? It's important to realize one's limitations, but also to remain open to the prospect of growing beyond them. Personal growth can be intimidating and it's easier not to bother, and to declare ourselves the victims of our limitations rather than their engineer. It can't hurt to be honest and know where we stand, but if we're really honest, we'll admit that we could venture a few steps forward now and then, and even that it might be good for us.