Thread: Unorthodox
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Unorthodox

Ok lets rewind a little:

Alehan raised UTG, he's somewhat aggressive. Valesco knows this, and is aggressive too, and 3-bet him. My AQ fares good against both their ranges. IMO the biggest wild card in the hand is the SB, as he's somewhat loose but calling 3-cold still has to mean something.

So on this relatively _good_ looking flop, I decide to bet it. Why?
1) I might very well have the best hand.
2) From a hand reading perspective, to Alehan and Valesco it will look a lot like I have a pocket pair. Also, they may or may not know this, but I play flopped sets this way a lot too (obv it'd be a boat in this instance). Anyway, my play looks a lot like a pocket pair to them, I would think.
3) Because of #2, and because they are both aware folding isn't a strong suit of mine, my flop bet should elicit very honest postflop reactions from both of them and make my own hand reading very simple.

Once there's two calls and a checkraise back to me, the 3-bet becomes mandatory IMO. Both to further _represent_ that pocketpair that so desperately wants overcards to fold, and also, because of the legit possibility the somewhat unknown SB might be checkraising the flop with a flush draw.

There becomes two Q's to the hand:

1) Should the flop be bet. On a range of seldom, sometimes, often, always, never; where is the appropriate marker?

2) Once Alehan calls my 3-bet, what becomes the best turn/river plan? There's the off-chance I'm wrong and he's slowplaying something huge, but, it's much more likely he has a club draw based on his preflop/flop play. So then, does that make it a two-street must bet? If they both call on the turn, is the river give-up time?