View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Science Education in America: Why I\'m Homeschooling My Kid in Scie

Phil,
Seriously. This study has data points in Math, Reading, Science and Writing. It has data points from 2000, 2002, 2003, 2005 for reading, 2000, 2003, 2005 for Mathematics, 2000 for science and 2002 for writing.

NCLB was introduced in 2001, this is the act that linked federal funding to Math and Reading scores. The decrease in time spent on Science in classrooms in favor of reading.

[ QUOTE ]
Sinking state standards are not the only unintended consequence of NCLB. Because the law holds schools accountable only in reading and math, there's growing evidence that schools are giving short shrift to other subjects. In a survey of 300 school districts conducted by the Center on Education Policy, 71% of local administrators admitted that this was the case in their elementary schools. Martin West of Brown University found that, on average, from 1999 to 2004, reading instruction gained 40 min. a week, while social studies and science lost about 17 min. and 23 min, respectively.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it just a coincidence that once federal was tied directly to math and reading that it it suddenly becomes very hard to get you hands on science scores? Your study makes a point of the importance of following trends in Math and Reading, why is science not included? As I said earlier these scores don't exist (or are doing a heck of a job hiding), and have not existed since NCLB was enacted. The next time these scores are scheduled to be released is in late 2008 after the science section is added to the criteria this school year.