View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Re: NL25 - Small pot poker... don\'t know what I\'m doing wrong

<font color="blue">Hand #1.</font>

Folding preflop is not a sin, here. With no read I usually assume that a preflop raise is strong. In this case, I'm either flipping a coin or dominated by AK. I see no powerful need to continue. If I knew villain was a blind thief, I'd raise preflop. Otherwise, I'd fold preflop and move on -- being out of position sucks.

As played, I check/fold the flop, check/fold the turn, and check/fold the river. I've got nothing, and I'm not going to pay off his JJ with my air.

<font color="blue">Hand #2.</font>

I fold preflop. Against AK or AQ we're dogmeat. Given a preflop raise AND another caller, given that we're three-way and out of position and our hand is easily dominated, I let it go preflop. The best advice I can give you on defending your blinds is "don't." Most players lose more money trying to defend their blinds than they would lose if they just instafolded every time someone tried to steal. Don't be a statistic -- just let it go.

As played, I check/fold the flop, but I lead the turn. That second ace on the board makes it even less likely that someone has another one. I've got top two with the best kicker, so I'm beating any other K besides AK or KK, both of which are unlikely. If I get called, I'm probably check/folding the river (though I'll call if the bet is small enough). Most villains with weaker hands are going to give me a free showdown, so I'm happy with that line. Also, if I get raised on the turn I'll fold to the raise.

<font color="blue">Hand #3.</font>

Without a read (AGAIN, *sigh*) I see folding here as perfectly acceptable. OOP with an easily dominated hand you will either win a small pot or lose a big one. Why risk it?

<font color="blue">Hand #4.</font>

Preflop is fine, but I check/fold the flop, turn, and river. I'm playing for set value, I missed, someone still likes their hand, I'm done. Period. End of story. uNL is no place to get all frisky with steal attempts, especially against total unknowns.

Give me reads and I might change my lines.