View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Science Education in America: Why I\'m Homeschooling My Kid in Scie

[ QUOTE ]

And you're also missing the point that both public and private schools are scoring poorly on this test, worse than public education systems in other countries. The bottom line is that private schools are doing a piss poor job as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

You keep claiming this. Lets run through some bullets of points you have either conceded or not argued against but have been posted in this or the other thread.

<ul type="square">[*]private schools pay their teacher less than public schools[*]Private schools offer services that parents value that public schools don't[*]Public schools have significant incentives in the metrics used to compare public V private that private schools don't have[*]Public schools admit to decreasing time in classrooms for those courses not measured[*]Teachers unions have essentially been granted a sellers monopoly for a large portion of the education system, this drives up costs for private schools[/list]
[ QUOTE ]

Another independent metric is SAT scores. It's hard to get exact information, but the common number reported is that private schools typically score 100 points above public schools on a 2400 point scale (around 4% better, or 6% if you take the average of 1700). This is more or less in line with the 3% (based on total possible points) we see in the previously quoted data

[/ QUOTE ]

See, you say you don't need simplistic examples to understand my point, and then you post exactly the same point. SAT measures the exact same things that public schools have their funding tied to, reading and math (and now an essay section). No claim was made that math and reading scores were altered, but that they didn't reflect overall education levels in public schools well. Try finding test scores in science for public schools, you can't find large scale random samples of public schools for these test, they don't exist. Meanwhile public school officials admit that they spend ever declining % of their class time devoted to subjects that are not math and reading. Can you find statistics showing that private school attention to these subjects are also declining at similar rates?