View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Re: FAQ on WATCHES (x-post from \"I bought myself something\")

[ QUOTE ]
This is probably just a case of simple ignorance on my part, but my google-fu is failing me.

When purchasing a high end watch, what's the most effective way to get a fair price? Is the buyer expected to negotiate with the retailer? Should I just call around and get price quotes? For that matter, how trustworthy are internet retailers? In general they aren't (that I know of) "authorized dealers," but I'm not sure how significant that is, either.

I guess the short version of the question is, "Once I know what I want, how do I go about getting it and not get screwed in the process."

[/ QUOTE ]

buy from an authorized retailer. buying online is very dangerous. ebay is incredibly easy to scam, and the only way to really tell a genuine timepeice from a replica is to open the case, at which point shady online retailers will likely tell you youve damaged the goods and they wont return it. you can sometimes negotiate a small discount, but in general the watches cost waht they cost. many companies will not even allow their watches to be sold online (see breitling).