View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Is Poker Playing a better test for would be presidents?

[ QUOTE ]
So .. what sort of understanding of poker would you demand from the presidents to become ?

[/ QUOTE ]

First, we are assuming that the candidates have done some studying and played some poker. At least to the same level as they would have to attempt 3 move endings in chess. Given this, we assume that they understand that poker is a game of skill and that employment of strategy and tactics is better than no strategy.

Jim Brier, in his mid limit Holdem book, disccusses numerous limit Holdem situations. Situations of this type could be used to test a candidates understanding of poker. I'm sure David and Tom Wiedman, Fossilman and a lot of other 2 + 2 contributors could come up with various situations that would tst one's understanding. I choose limit poker as the test bed. In limit there are more things to consider than no limit. Pot limit might be best though but I leave that to the experts.

I will tell you this for sure. Poker (hand) discussions will yield much more discussion and require much greater thought and understanding than solvable 3 move chess endings.

pokervintage