View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 10:25 AM

Default Re: **** ALDS GAME 4 Tribe/Yanks (Byrd vs. Mussina)****

[ QUOTE ]
Did you watch game 2? Carmona has absolutely absurd movement on his pitches. He has unbelievable stuff. For a starting pitcher he's comfortably in the "best since Pedro" range, albeit with some other guys, but it's not a ridiculous thing to say.

[censored], just watch the ARod at bat at the end of the game. That was after throwing 110 pitches.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's that phrase you guys use around here all the time? "Sample size"? I could find a single start from any one of those guys I listed where they dominated and just be like "look here I told you so!" Verlander throws 100mph and he gets a whole [censored]- ton of movement on it, and his curveball is absurd. Beckett gets ridiculous movement on 96-97mph fastballs (though he throws upwards around 99), and his curveball is a "snap-dragon" according to scouts. Hell, in his 4-hit shutout he was throwing 98 in the 9th inning. Peavy looks like he's a pitcher from the NES game Base Wars. Rivera has thrown a single pitch for basically his entire career and has a .78 ERA in about 120 postseason IPs. Hernandez throws 99 with outstanding breaking stuff. Joba touches 100, and has an unfair slider. Santana used to throw 97 with the best changeup in the game (as a lefty). Yet you toss all that out because a guy throws a mid 90's sinker? IMO everyone of those guys have better overall stuff than Carmona, and though it may be close, it's also pretty obvious.