View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Future of sng\'s online?

To the OP,

I would say that if you already are familiar with how STGs work, the switch from limit to NL shouldn't be too tough. The main issue I have encountered playing SNGs is that there just aren't that many games available at the higher stakes, even on the major sites like PokerStars.

As a SNG player, for example, I started off with $200 in mid-August. Now, the main thing about my playing is that I refuse to multi-table. I am often watching TV or on the phone or doing something else that would prevent me from properly 8-tabling it. So single-tabling it, starting with a $200 bankroll and $30 SNGs, I was able to make almost $700 in the month of August over my first two weeks playing. Then I switched to $50's, again no multi-tabling, and was able to pick up an ROI of around 30%. This was lower than my ROI at the $30's, but the hourly rate was higher.

Now, after good success at the $30's & $50's and recent MTT success, I have gotten my bankroll over $5000 and am finding it tough to continue down the STG path. I have upped it to $100 SNGs now, and notice that it is often a pain to get a simple 9-handed table started. I have waited 15+ minutes before to get a table started. Additionally, the couple of times I have sat down at a $215 table, the table never filled up within a reasonable time.

So I would say that if you plan on eventually playing $100+ SNGs and multi-tabling it, you might have a hard time getting enough games going at once. Now, the way I see it, its better to have full concentration on a $100/$200 table anyway because you should be paying attention to your opponents' tendencies the entire way in ways not needed @ the $10-20 level. By not multi-tabling it, I think an ROI of ~15-20% is attainable even at the $100 level, though most people on this forum would likely disagree.

-- PujolsOfPokr