View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Re: * * New Theory of Poker Study Group Session 1 * *

I hope I'm not too late on this. I read the 35 pages and basically are ok with what's presented. I might write up a short summary.

I do have 2 questions that perhaps other people might answer:

1) This one seems simple. If the pot is 10 bets and there's only one card to come. I have top pair and I know the other player is on nothing more than a flush draw. I bet for value, opponent calls, because he has odds. To simplify, let's say that the odds of the flush hitting are 4-1. So I bet, because my EV is (12*0.8) - 1 = 8.6bets?
The other player calls because his EV is 12*0.2 - 1 = 1.4 bets. I already discounted the bets he had to put in.
But in terms of the fundamental theorem of poker, neither of us has gained ANYTHING, since we both played it as if the hand were turned up. So the gain in this situation is 0, for both players? Kinda like taking odds in craps?

2) Sklansky says that against weak opponents you should not push small edges with a short stack. Isn't this what short-stack strategy is about? If you bust, then you reload. Perhaps I misunderstood short-stack strategy. Should I not move all-in with TT on short-stack, knowing that I will likely get called by AK?
According to the Kelly Criterion your bet should be in line with your advantage. Well if my advantage is small, then my bet should be small and short stack should maximize that value.