View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Ask Me About Being a Police Officer

[ QUOTE ]
DO those little blue and black stickers that family members of cops get make a differance in how you treat someone? How much slack would you be willing to give someone that was a family member of a cop? For instance, you would let them off for running a stop sign but not speeding, or you would let them off for reckless driving but not a DUI.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems to be a question of my character.

I have never seen those blue/black stickers so I don't know. I do treat everyone respectfully with honesty. If I have dealt with someone many times and know their attitude, I will tighten the clamp a little bit.

For family members, it is just accepted that they can be left go with verbal warnings. Traffic violations are not the end of the world. It is just the world of law enforcement and a benefit to those involved. It's not my personal discretion, it is an accepted practice, however, it is left up to the officer with what he wants to do.

My g/f was stopped by the state police for speeding and he cited her. He didn't know she was my g/f (and still doesn't), but there was nothing I could do and she paid the fine.

The son of my Chief was arrested for DUI several years ago by an officer of my department. You can be the judge of that one. I was not working with the department at that time.