View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Ask Me About Being a Police Officer

[ QUOTE ]
Were you trained to word things in such a way as to maximize the chances of a person giving up their rights to you?

For instance, asking whether or not you can search someones car in such a way that leads them to believe they do not have a choice when in reality they do.

Please do not take this post the wrong way and I hope that you'll reply. I'm not passing judgement here, it just seems to me a lot of police tend to intimidate people into doing things they do not have to do using creating language etc, and I'm wondering if they were specifically taught this or if its just individual cops etc

[/ QUOTE ]

I was never specifically taught to do anything like that. With PBT tests (like a breathalyzer), I will specifically say, "Do you agree to take a PBT test?" I will not say, "Blow in this tube," like they don't have a choice. I make it known that people have a choice. I try not to be deceptive in any way unless I am trying to get some information out of somebody in an investigative way. I will not degrade anybody's rights.

FYI, PBTs are not sufficient evidence to be able to convict anyone for DUI, and everybody has the right to refuse the PBT without recourse.