View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Ask Me About Being a Police Officer

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever arrested someone for something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anytime a citation is written, it is called an "arrest." As far as putting someone in handcuffs and taking them to jail, I have a couple times.

The first time was when I got a call from the hospital saying that a lady just took a bunch of medical supplies, stuffed them into her coat pockets, and walked out. Her next of kin was a guy who had a bench warrant out for his arrest for 8 months. That was 2 days before Christmas. He is currently back on the list, and drives a semi somewhere out there.

Other times were for other bench warrants that weren't as exciting.

It is generally misunderstood though, that all arrests mean jail time. Most of the time they are just citations and everyone goes home.

One time I had a guy from Maryland pump gas without paying the full price. He came back the next day, I caught him, and told him to pay. He refused to pay saying it wasn't him. I told him, "Pay or I will have to arrest you for retail theft." His friend then said something about him going to jail, and he ended up paying. All he would have gotten was a citation and he would have went on his way.