View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Hiring a money manager

I recently setup with a planner. I used to have a "manager" and it costs waaaaay to much. So I am currently working with a planner on a flat fee basis. He will look at
My insurance coverages and investments mainly.

And it's truly fee-based as in he develops a plan for me that says x% in us small caps, x% in asia, x$ in bonds, etc. Then he suggests funds, primarily index that I can then buy myself and I go buy them in my own brokerage accounts. He can also evaluate what-if scenarios. Ie, with my current assets, how much cash can I generate annually sustainably and if I want X dollar per year what net worth do I need to get to so I don't need a paycheck. Things like that.

For comparison the planning fees are less than .5% for the first year for developing the plan and then after that the annual fee drops nearly in half for annual full-reevaluation and whatever scenarios come up during the year. The reason for the low fees I think is that there is a specific fee for a range of net worth and I happen to fall below a cutoff point so it makes it small as a %.