View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 02:17 PM

Default Re: What the heck is wrong with me?

[ QUOTE ]

2. Hey, aggro-boy: consider calming down occasionally in postflop situations. You seem to have the common malady of "TA preflop, LA postflop": you have a good, controlled, tight range preflop, but it's left you so starved for action that when you actually GET something preflop you go all psycho-nutzo postflop. AKs is gorgeous, but when you miss and your LP calling station friend check-raises you on the flop, you're DONE. Let it go.

3. On a similar note, you don't have to bet every flop just because you hit. Consider trapping occasionally: CO raises preflop and you call in the BB with 77. The flop comes AJ7. What's your action? If you say "bet," you're wrong. It's time to check, either with the intent of check-raising the flop or (if villain is REALLY aggro) check-calling the flop and check-raising the turn. You've hit your gin card -- make villain pay for it. This is especially true if there's a two-flush on the board: now your opponent will have a powerful urge to "protect from the draw," and you'll have an even better chance to get a big pot built before you spring your trap. If you just lead out strongly, villain will fold. Winning pots is not the goal -- your goal is winning money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word.

I've tighten up considerably post-flop, for what it's worth.

As for trapping with sets, a lot of advice I hear on this board is that a uNL, playing tricky is a bad move. People will call you down with bad hands, or with decent hands like TPTK, and so it's correct to just bet out with a good hand.

In your example, if I flop set on a board with 2-to-the-flush, do I bet if I'm checked to? What if I have to play first, and I check it, and he checks behind and out comes the 3rd flush card? Now I'm lost in the hand and in position to pay off a fair amount of money.

Does your experience contradict this?