View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: QQ bet sizes okay?

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you raise to 10x BB with two limpers, rather than a more standard 6x? Were you that confident EP was going to come along?

[/ QUOTE ]

In these live games where there is a loose/action player at the table, it can be very difficult to calibrate the preflop raise to get some, but not a lot, of action. If players anticipate that the loose player will come along, then they become more inclined to call bets in the $12-$15 range. When this happens, you find yourself 4 or 5-handed preflop with a pot of $60+. Preflop, big pocket pairs are likely way ahead, but you'll see a lot of flops in which these pairs do not play well if you are multi-handed.

As a result, if you are really serious about getting a pot heads-up, a raise of $20 is often necessary. Depending upon table conditions, a slightly smaller raise (like to $17), can also work. But the right raise can be very difficult to gauge, and so it's hard to find fault with OP's choice.

The flop here is pretty dry, and it presents only one real draw for someone holding exactly 67. Still, I like to bet anywhere from 50% to 75% of the pot here. First, this is more consistent with my standard CB. Second, it's important to remember here that, while you have good hand, it's just a pair and not the nuts. There are a lot of turn cards that can sink you, and if you took the pot down right here, you'd add 33% to your stack. That's a decent result.

If you make the larger bet in this case, it's really designed to get called by the SB as opposed to the EP. As between the two, the EP is more likely to have the drawing hand or an overcard that would sink you. In contrast, the SB is more likely to have a hand like 99-JJ if he calls. You are very far ahead of him and probably can continue to value bet against his range even if an A or K falls on the river. Could you say the same thing about the EP? My gut tells me no.