View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Re: What the heck is wrong with me?

In looking at your numbers it seems clear to me that your problem is your PTBB/100. You should try to get that one up -- the rest are kind of irrelevant.

OK, serious comments:

1. Considering that you're playing 6-max, you look too tight. You're on your way to nitsville playing under 18% of your hands. Try to loosen that up to 22% or so, mostly by playing more hands in late position. If you don't feel comfortable with that, then don't -- it's not mandatory at $25NL to play loosely, but it will get you a bit more disguise for your big hands and a bit more winrate for your speculative stuff.

2. Hey, aggro-boy: consider calming down occasionally in postflop situations. You seem to have the common malady of "TA preflop, LA postflop": you have a good, controlled, tight range preflop, but it's left you so starved for action that when you actually GET something preflop you go all psycho-nutzo postflop. AKs is gorgeous, but when you miss and your LP calling station friend check-raises you on the flop, you're DONE. Let it go.

3. On a similar note, you don't have to bet every flop just because you hit. Consider trapping occasionally: CO raises preflop and you call in the BB with 77. The flop comes AJ7. What's your action? If you say "bet," you're wrong. It's time to check, either with the intent of check-raising the flop or (if villain is REALLY aggro) check-calling the flop and check-raising the turn. You've hit your gin card -- make villain pay for it. This is especially true if there's a two-flush on the board: now your opponent will have a powerful urge to "protect from the draw," and you'll have an even better chance to get a big pot built before you spring your trap. If you just lead out strongly, villain will fold. Winning pots is not the goal -- your goal is winning money.

4. Hands #1 is fine.

5. Against tight opponents I'd raise that 66 (in Hand #2), but against looser players, playing exclusively for set value works for me. In any case, you can check-fold this flop -- villain probably isn't c-betting into three players with air, and your hand plays VERY badly against his range. These "loose flop calls" will cost you a fortune in the long run, about $1 at a time.

6. Hand #3 preflop isn't terrible, but it's not great. Depending on your read on MP you might be making a good play, or you might be spewing. I can't tell from the information available. What I CAN tell you is that your flop call is crap. Again the preflop raiser bets into two opponents OOP. You've got naked overs and a backdoor flush draw -- that's not good enough to continue. Dump it on the flop and move on with your life.

7. Hand #4 I'd either raise or fold preflop, and usually I'd be folding. Unless Button is a REALLY big blind thief you just don't have the juice to be playing a weak and easily dominated hand out of position -- it's a recipe for disaster. With 33 I'd be FAR more likely to play. I don't mind your flop play, but at that point I'm shutting down. Given the turn action, I'd be MUCH more likely to check-fold rather than check-raise, and there's no way that I'm calling a three-bet all-in. This hand is an absolute train wreck, and you didn't have to lose more than $0.25. Given how often you fold your blinds to steals I'm assuming that this is not your typical play from the blinds. You were probably frustrated and tilting or something. Don't do it again.

Keep posting, keep asking questions, and keep learning. Oh, and knock it off with the "loose flop call" crap -- it's costing you oodles of money.