View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Hiring a money manager

It seems you are looking for a financial planner / financial advisor. "Money manager" kind of denotes someone who specializes in choosing individual stocks and bonds, and generally does not do any financial planning.

I am a financial advisor who recommends passive investing. You could possibly do the investments on your own. In this thread I made a series of posts that describe what kind of allocation I use.

The decision on how aggressive or conservative you want the portfolio to be is based on your risk tolerance (which you might not be fully aware of), and on your lifetime goals - when do you want to begin to spend the money in your portfolio. I or another financial planner could help to determine that.

In terms of having a strong relationship with a planner, it may be good to find someone who is local to where you will be living, so you can meet in person periodically.

You might try to search for a planner using the CFP Board's web site. You can also find an advisor using financeware.com's advisor directory. (This web site uses the Wealthcare system for financial and goal planning. This is an excellent way to make a recommendation that has a high degree of confidence of meeting all of the lifetime goals that you value, without unnecessary investment risk.) (It's probably best to search only using your state, as there are not that many advisors there and they don't have a "radius" option.) In order to make sure you are finding a passive advisor, you could try DFA's find an advisor.

My firm does have clients in other states. We do our reviews by mailing documents and making a telephone conference. However, meeting in person generally leads to stronger relationships.

[ QUOTE ]
I have no clue what to pay. I rather pay a small salary then have a bonus based on performance of the portfolio. Though I guess in the long term a % of the assets will want him to keep it growing. What percentage based on assets is standard?

[/ QUOTE ]
This does vary by the amount of assets. 1% is very standard. My firm has a $10,000 minimum annual fee, so for $500,000 we generally charge 2%.

Some advisors only charge hourly. You can try the Garrett Financial Network, click on Locate an Advisor. (We are not in this network.)

[ QUOTE ]
Ill prob. start with around $200k cash, with another 500k in investments which can slowly be liquidated over time, plus plan too keep a small budget on my expenses (prob. 10%-15% of my total income) and plan to throw almost all my incoming poker cash flow into my portfolio.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't exactly understand this. You currently have $700,000? $200K to be used for cash (bankroll and/or emergency fund/living expenses?) and $500K to be invested? Then why liquidated over time?

It may be possible to help you here in this thread (if you are not concerned about privacy), but will need more detail. How much do you expect to earn in a year? How much do you want to spend in a year? How long will you work?

Good luck,

-Tom