View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Please review my generic letter to Congress

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, to my great disappointment and contrary to the desires of the American people, my right to play poker online was assaulted with the passage of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006 (UIGEA). While it is clear that UIGEA does not apply to Internet poker nationwide (federal case law has consistently held that the Wire Act applies only to sports betting, and very few states have any laws against Internet poker), the fact is that this legislation has had a chilling effect on my ability to access and patronize these legal businesses. I ask that you to help rectify this situation by supporting clarifying legislation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the use of the term "assault" detracts from your larger point that the the UIGEA inadvertently has had an adverse impact on poker. In addition, I suggest adding this point in the very first paragraph.

From a political viewpoint, I like the position that the proposed legislation is merely necessary to clarify an unintended consequence. I just think you should tweak the letter a little to make it clear you are supporting a relatively minor change (i.e., minor in the scheme of the entire UIGEA).

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! I appreciate your help. I'll get a few more suggestions and will post an update later today.

I hope everyone else will post like this....it's important that we get a few independent opinions on this. Thanks.