View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 03:03 AM

Default Re: The Father of Anarchism on capitalism

[ QUOTE ]
If, profiting by the powerful initiative afforded me by my capital, I ask those hundred workers to
fertilize that capital with their labor, it is not because of my sympathy for their sufferings, nor
because of a spirit of justice, nor because of love for humanity.

[/ QUOTE ]

How the [censored] does he know what motivates someone to start a business? Entrepreneurs can and do start businesses for all these reasons on a regular basis.

[ QUOTE ]
"The simple worker who owns nothing more than his hands, has nothing else to sell than his
labor. He sells it more or less expensively; but its price whether high or low, does not depend on
him alone: it depends on an agreement with whoever will pay for his labor. The employer pays as
little as possible; when given the choice between a great number of workers, the employer prefers
the one who works cheap. The workers are, then, forced to lower their price in competition each
against the other. In all types of labor, it necessarily follows that the salary of the worker is limited
to what is necessary for survival." (Turgot)

[/ QUOTE ]

Businesses must also compete for labor. This is just a worst-case hypothetical.

[ QUOTE ]
"Wages are much higher when more demand exists for labor and less if offered, and are lowered accordingly when more labor is offered and less demanded. It is the relation between supply and demand which regulates the price of this merchandise called the workers' labor, as are regulated all other public services. When wages rise a little higher than the price necessary for the workers' families to maintain themselves, their children multiply and a larger supply soon develops in proportion with the greater demand. When, on the contrary, the demand for workers is less than the quantity of people offering to work, their gains decline back to the price necessary for the class to maintain itself at the same number. The families more burdened with children disappear; from them forward the supply of
labor declines, and with less labor being offered, the price rises... In such a way it is difficult for the
wages of the laborer to rise above or fall below the price necessary to maintain the class (the
workers, the proletariat) in the number required." (J.B. Say)

[/ QUOTE ]

Workers who earn a surplus will be able to start their own businesses, further increasing competition for labor. The part about families having more children is pure speculation, but even if it's true, it happens much slower than workers starting their own businesses with their surpluses, so the effect is more than counteracted.

[ QUOTE ]
"What is it that brings the capitalist to the market? It is the urge to get rich, to increase his capital, to gratify his ambitions and social vanities, to be able to indulge in all conceivable pleasures. And what brings the worker to the market? Hunger, the necessity of eating today and tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another display of psychic prowess. I guess it's easier to create economic theories when you just assume you know exactly what motivates everyone.

This stuff is weak.