View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007, 04:41 AM

Default Re: Am I doing alright?

[ QUOTE ]

Overall, not counting that 1 lucky streak I had, over 4 hours I think I made around 4$ profit, at .04/.08.

[/ QUOTE ]
That still sounds unsustainable. $4 is 50 big bets. In a very soft game, an expert might expect to win 5 BB/100 hands, less than half of the rate at which you won.

[ QUOTE ]
Am I actually doing pretty good,

[/ QUOTE ]
It has often been said that the worst thing that can happen when you start gambling is to win. It sets your expectations too high. That said, your win rate is great over a tiny sample. It's possible that you are doing something right in addition to getting lucky. After all, you are thinking about pot odds and you came here, which puts you far ahead of the competition.

[ QUOTE ]
does this mean that I'll do just as good in the higher stake tables such as .25/.5 and .5/.1? Or are the players there dramatically different/better?

[/ QUOTE ]
You can't expect to continue winning at this rate at your current level, and you can expect your win rate to fall (in big bets/100, not necessarily in $/100) as you move up.

People tend to forget the differences after they have moved up, but there are more decent players and fewer completely hopeless players as you move up. Fewer players will be playing every face card. You won't get paid off quite as much when you are ahead, and people will charge you more when you make a decent second-best hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'd like to know what b/f means. Bet/fold? That's what I figured but.. how does that make sense? Why would you make a choice between betting and folding, if you want to fold then that means you have bad cards so why would you bet..

[/ QUOTE ]
As explained by the other response, bet/fold may be appropriate when you have a decent hand and want to get some value out of worse hands, but you can't beat may hands that would raise you. Another time to bet/fold is when you are bluffing, and you hope that your opponent will fold to your bet.

[ QUOTE ]

I get dealt 66, 3 or so people call, I call. The flop is something like K 8 10. Someone bets. Do I fold? According to pot odds I would need 22:1 to continue, and obviously the pot odds are almost never that high so I've been folding those every time.

[/ QUOTE ]
The 22:1 seems simple, but it assumes that you are not able to win without catching a 6 on the next street, that you only need to call one bet on this street, that a 6 will win 100% of the time, and that you won't win a significant amount more after improving.

If the flop were KK5, it would be much more likely that your hand is ahead, even when someone bets. The bet could easily be someone with a 5. So, you might be able to call with the hopes that your hand will win unimproved. It is also possible that you might win without catching a 6 if the turn is checked through and you get a 6 on the river, or you are able to find a good bluff.

If you are not last to act, then you don't know that you will only need to call one bet, since a player might raise behind you. Whether you can call that raise or not, you will be worse off than if you just call one bet.

If the board is K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and you have 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], then you don't know that a 6 will help, since someone may have a flush already, or may improve to a flush with the 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. On that board, you should discount your outs. Instead of 2 outs, you might imagine that you only have 1 out.

If you pick up a set on the turn, you will usually be able to bet or raise for value, and you might expect to get paid off and to win more than the value of the pot. This is quite significant in NL, but not as important in limit.

These are examples of some things to think about that are behind that simple 22:1 figure. Welcome to the forums.