View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Getting in over your head......job related

[ QUOTE ]
quids,

I have a fair amount of experience in this industry, so will have plenty of suggestions as this thread develops.

Suggestion #1: Hire hot chicks.

Suggestion #2: Assume that every single person involved in this is trying to rob you blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I should expand a little. I just got done cooking a massive feast testing out my recipes etc..going to cater a friends football party tommorow to test everything out and get comments.

I will be running front and back of the house, Im hiring a "kitchen manager" in that Ill have two workhorses in there everyday following the hand book that Im comming up w/ for prep, and a lower paid cook to get the food out, we are only serving from 11am to about 9, mainly sandwiches, a few pastas, etc, and about 15 apps. We are located next to tons and tons of offices, we also arent expecting to make tons of profit off the kitchen becuase nowadays when you have a place like ours the liquor just makes the 150k/yr we hope to make off the restaurant seem like peanuts.

I wont be stuck in the kitchen all day, Ill be in and out throughout the day pitching in as needed, doing more quality control than anything else, otherwise Ill be out on the floor. My goal is to have everything so standardized, and clear (recipe cards, handbooks, etc) that a retarded monkey can do the job correctly (as Im sure Ill be hiring a few). the restaurant is my pet project.

at night, of course, our cocktails waitresses will be smoking, and showing T and A, our night time bartenders will mainly be guys, as Im bringing on some childhood friends to help out. I have a pretty no BS atitude, and they know that if there are improprieties they will be fired or worse.

kick backs from vendors, we will be taking "kickbacks", camel will write us a huge check at the end fo the year if they are allowed to sell there, our liquor distributors are paying from construction work in exchange for their logo (red bull) being up there, and Anheuser agreed to pay for some major Djs (tiesto, skribble) in exchange for letting them advertise the event and put up signs, which blows my mind as we get to keep the cover charges, pretty sick imo.

I have tons of little tricks to keep theft down, I know everyone is out to rob me, and not matter what I do I cant help it, but Im going to do my best to keep that close to 0%, security cameras, random drawer checks all night long, seperate drawer so they can make change out of it because the register will not have a NS button, if I see a drawer open and its not in the middle of a transaction they will be warned than fired, etc etc.

I am actually looking forward to working 19 hour days (8am to 2am ish), one thing that I know is I thrive when Im hustling. When I first started playing poker, I went from working 40 hour weeks in HS, to not working at all, and going to college, I have more energy the more I do, my mom says Im like a ball rolling down a hill, either Im a complete useless bum or go crazy w/ work.