View Single Post
Old 10-06-2007, 09:12 PM

Default Buying Home, Credit Question

Okay so got a credit question. My credit is bad because of really stupid stuff. For instance I bought some shoes in a gap store and did their stupid credit card thing for a discount, got confused, and didn't sent them a check to cover the bill for a while (this same thing then happened a second time with Banana Republic). I don't have credit cards to improve my credit, I just use cash. A mortgage payment was late because I was out of the country, my family was supposed to take care of it for me but messed up.

Because of this stuff the mortgage guy offered me a 7.75% loan (I forget if that's 15 years or 30 years) on a 250k loan. That extra percent or whatever that I'm paying is going to cost me a lot. I guess I can refinance in a year, but it's still going to cost me about 5k by my amateur calculations that could be wrong. Worth waiting half a year before buying a place for this reason? Can I call the credit companies and point out how stupid those problems were and get my credit fixed? Also only one mortgage company gave me that rate, I haven't asked around yet which I'm going to do now, how important is that?