Thread: lil wayne
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2007, 05:01 AM

Default Re: lil wayne

[ QUOTE ]
Francis,

pretty sure he just quoted that line cuz it's hilarious in its context and just on it's own. And just cuz a rapper doesn't follow the rules Nas and all set doesn't mean it's automatically dismissable as bad by any means. I listened to most all of the Nas, Big Pun, and Eminem before the MM LP, and I'm 22. But it got old, Weezie's new. And he rules now.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the thing though...HE IS FOLLOWING THE RULES Rakim, Nas, Jay and Biggie set. He just doesn't have any substance. I have the Carter 1 and 2, and some of his mixtapes. He has an uncanny flow, he can hit every little high hat in the beat. When its all said and done, he may be the best ever IN THIS REGARD. However, in order to be able to rap over a beat like he does, he sacrifices alot. It seems to me that he writes, after getting a beat, basically by just listing words that rhyme, and filling in the rest later after getting the flow right. This may also explain why he can be so DRASTICALLY hit and miss. I'm trying to think, is there any good, legit story-telling tracks that he's ever done? I can't think of any, but I could've missed some. Its clear, to me at least, that he wants to be a in that same category as Pac, Jay, Nas, Rakim, etc. He is one of the best thats out and hot right now, but that really isn't saying much. I think once he starts focusing more on the actual lyrics and what he is trying to say, he will eventually move into that "legendary" status that he wants. He may never do it though.