View Single Post
Old 10-06-2007, 04:56 AM

Default Is There a (Poker) Doctor in the House?

I need help, and fast! My game's very sick and I need a cure. There are many aspects to my game that I need to fix, but the main thing that concerns me right now is that I have an alarming tendency to win many small pots and lose a few big ones that wipe out all the good I'm doing. If that's the microcosm of my game, then the macrocosm is that I tend to have many small winning sessions, and then a few big losing ones that put me in the red.

I play mostly NLH 6-max, with what should be a small-ball style. I'm mostly TAG, but play a wide range of hands and play position and players more than the cards. I see the flop over 1/3 of the time and follow up my PFRs (almost always 3xBB if I'm openraising) with c-bets (usually 2/3 pot) most of the time. I'm aggressive most of the time, winning small pots uncontested, and show occasionally that I can bluff (whether it works or not).

I've noticed that I rarely get involved in big pots, yet I often see huge pots around me every time I play. In all the sessions I've played, I think I've only doubled up once. However, I've been stacked several times. I can at least say that they've always been because of either coolers or cold-decks (KK vs AA, Aces cracked, top two vs set, suckouts etc…).

Since it's hard to get an analysis "over the phone" and I don't have PT stats, I can at least provide some numbers, even if they aren't the best indicators:

Hands: 3203
Flops: 1126 (35%)
Turn: 388 (12%)
River: 265 (8%)

Won PF: 128 (3%)
Won Flop: 134 (4%)
Won Turn: 94 (3%)
Won River: 53 (1.7%)
Won Showdown: 136 (4%)
Hands Won: 545 (17%)

Are these numbers useful? If so, how do they look upon close examination? Does anyone have comparable stats that I can compare to?

What can I do to improve my results? Any help would be greatly appreciated. When you're sick, all you want to do is get better…