View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 10:21 PM

Default Re: looking for help/advice to improve my game

Go to PT, click on "position stats" tab, and take a screen shots of those up top.

My guess is that you are losing more money than you should from the blinds, because I think your fold to steal is too low.

I will also probably get flamed for this, but I think you are too aggro on turn & river. You are playing 10NL, not 10KNL. Townsend videos are great, but I think you should understand why he does some of the stuff he does rather than try to directly mimic. I mean, 3+ turn & river AF at 10NL seems a bit too high. Those factors should become higher as you move up stakes, and perhaps for like 100NL those would be ideal, but at 10NL, you are simply not going to bluff anyone off top pair. You aren't going to get them to make a big laydown. For example, say you have ATC, you raise PF, c/c flop J high flop, and then CRAI on turn. That tells me your hand is uber strong, and a lot of TAGs and regulars will fold to your hand there, because of Baluga theorem, or because they know their top pair with AJ is beat enough times where it's -EV for them to call. You are getting called there all the time at 10NL, and 25NL even. Concentrate less on trying to mimic townsend, and learn to value bet your hands first. If this is your first time playing NL, that AF is too high. Start low, valuebet when you are sure you are ahead. Never bluff. Never make fancy plays. Just learn to play straight forward ABC poker. Put in money when you are ahead, fold when you are behind. Taht's it. And as you become a winning player, start opening up & adding aggression more and more in spots you will then know are good.

Also, 10K hands is a tiny sample size. Keep grinding.