View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 09:38 PM

Default 15nl: AK calls 3-bet and flops an A

Hi,

I just played this AK hand, and would like some feedback on my thoughts during the hand and my question about calling 3-bets with AK in general.

Poker Room skin
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.15
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $19.75
UTG+1: $11.70
MP1: $14.25
MP2: $9.25
MP3: $10.35
CO: $13.60
Button: $12.85
SB: $14.15
BB: $19.55

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.6</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $1.05</font>, 7 folds, Hero calls.
<font color="blue">
So, opp. says he likes his hand by making a pathetic minraise. He has been tight/passive and I put him on a range of JJ+ and maybe AK (allthough AK rarely seems to be a reason to 3-bet at these stakes). So, given the nice price, I call hoping to outflop him (or get coolered) or miss and move on.</font>

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($2.35, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets $1.5</font>, Hero calls.
<font color="blue">
Well, there's my A. So, now I'm looking to either 1) extract from JJ-KK, 2) donate to AA or 3) tigh with AK. For 2 and 3 it doesn't matter how I play: chips will go in the middle anyway and I'll loose (to rake or AA). However, scenario 1 is where my value has to come from to make up for 2 and 3 and to eventually profit from these situations. Donkbetting most likely only lets him get away cheap when behind, so I'll check and hope he bets. If so, I plan to call: don't want to scare him and he only has 2 outs when I'm ahead (maybe 3 if he has AQ/AJ, but he hasn't, lol)</font>

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($5.35, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets $4</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $10</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 calls all-in $5.15</font>.
Uncalled bets: $0.85 returned to Hero.
<font color="blue">
Not the most blanc card in the world, but whatever. Here I CRAI'd, but in hindsight I think I should have lead out here to not let him see a cheap river when he is drawing to the flush. But anyway, he caught trip jacks with this card and left me behind with a decimated stack, still smoking from the heat of battle... </font>

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($23.65, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $23.65)

Results:
Final pot: $23.65

And I wondered: can it be profitable at all to call a 3-bet with AK concidering all the above? Or was this hand a good reminder to not call 3-bets with AK when the 3-betting opp. isn't a donkey and has a range of something like TT+ and AK?
(Or am I thinking too much and should I stick it all-in on the flop?)