View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Apparently songs are worth $9250 each...Dumb Jury

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, I'm saying no one will produce or distribute music. There will be people willing to pay, but no product.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

He thinks that if it were legal to download music than everyone would stop recording music. I mean sure, that is a basic argument for why people produce goods for economic reasons, but I would argue that the vast majority of musicians are making their music for other reasons. This is why arguing this topic is so difficult. Music is just so different than most other products in terms of economic value/ rewards for producing music.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sort of why I brought up other IP laws. Because people like to put music/other art in a different category from other things protected by IP law.

They (and Im not necessarily saying this is what you're saying) like to say that people will/should create music for free because of a love of music, yet they dont say that inventors will/should invent for the love of inventing.

This is unfair to musicians. For starters, if the amount of money a musician can make from music decreases, it might force people who otherwise would make good music to not make it, not directly because they arent getting paid, but because they need to spend time at a paying job.

Beyond that, "but I would argue that the vast majority of musicians are making their music for other reasons"... Im pretty sure there is nothing stopping bands from just putting their music on the internet for free and completely ignore record companies, yet many opt not to. Why is that if they dont want to be paid for their music?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the point of quality has also not been addressed. If you know anything about recording music, you know that it's EXPENSIVE. Good equpiment (not just instruments) is incredibly costly, and it's also very expensive to own/rent a studio and find a capable engineer. Throw in mastering and you've got a pretty damn compelling reason to not make music for free.

If they did make music for free, it would certainly not be as good as it is now. I've heard music that was inexpensively produced and it makes a BIG difference to have inadequate equipment and a bigger difference to have a cheap engineer.

I guess if the idea of free music is bunch of garage bands trying to record music on their macbooks then the idea will totally work.

If it's professional music, then there is basically no chance of the idea working for any artist that hasn't already been established by the record labels.

Also, none of this is targetted at you, CMI, but at the guys who think IP doesn't apply to music.