Thread: river play
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Re: river play

PartyPaul

Preflop charts are nice for starting players. If you want to improve your game you accept that preflop charts suck!

Neither Absolution nor TheHip or anybody else can tell you what to do with A5o in the CO without knowing the dynamics of the game and knowing the types of button and SB.

A few factors you should consider before you raise.

- rake. The 2/4 game at Crypto is very rake heavy. This means you should play less hands.

- Players behind you.
First of all: How likely is it you will end up in a multiway pot OOP. That is; how likely is it button will coldcall
Second: How likely is it that you win the blinds outright?
Third: How good are the players behind you.
4'th: How is your image

If you often end up OOP multiway or OOP vs a 3-bettor with this hand you should tighten up
If you often win the blinds outright or win them with a c-bet on the flop you need to loosen up
If the players behind you are bad you should loosen up. Its a misconception among many that if the blinds are bad loose passive then you should tighten up. WRONG! Loosen up.
If your image is strong or tight you should loosen up. If your image is crazy and bad you should tighten up.

BTW I am always playing this preflop in my games. But the rake is substantially lower there. In the last 300k hands I am a big winner with medium off suited Ax in the CO when opening. For me its a raise and its not even close.