View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 05:14 PM

Default I\'m thinking about buying a condo.

I am leaving my current apartment in roughly 1 month because my landlord who moved to Manhattan misses it here (Providence, RI) and is moving back and taking my apartment.

I am a moderately successful online poker pro. I'm on pace to win a little more than $100k this year (made $49k last year). My biggest fault as a poker player is work ethic, but if I really buckled down I think it would be quite reasonable for me to tack on another $40,000 or so in winnings this year, making me win $140k this year.

My bankroll is currently about $60,000. I paid all of my taxes last year. Pretty much all bills I have paid have been under someone else's name in a shared living arrangement. With no job and not much history of paying serious bills, I'm wondering:

A) Will it be possible for me to buy a ~$300,000 condo? All I have to prove that I am financially secure is my taxes from last year and.......my decent amount of liquid cash. The website for the condos says all you need is 3% of the cost of the condo. I am guessing this assumes you have excellent credit?

B) Even if this IS possible (which I'm not sure of) is it a bad idea? I am pretty certain that I will be able to make at least $100,000 next year (but realistically if the landscape of poker doesn't change much, I will probably make $200,000ish). Should I perhaps wait a few months (I could definitely rent a cheap apartment or even stay with my mom for a little while) and wait till I have maybe $100,000 in liquid cash before going after this condo?