View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Need some help starting up a poker room

If you don't start to build a bigger base then just your immediate friends then your game is a home game.

And you need to ask yourself the following questions:
Is it worth $150 for this space to play your home game.

And your guests will start to ask why am I paying a rake to play a game with my friends. I can invite my friends over to my house and we can play for free.

As to police attention

well one thing is clear, playing your home game at a billiard hall clearly has more risk than playing your home game at home.

Will it get police attention well that depends on a lot of things such as where you are, local police's priorities, whether you have problems that force police attention. You have a brawl at the game, or even just at the billiard hall. Someone thinks they got ripped off and goes to the police. Where i played the police didn't care about these underground games. One game I played in was actually going on whne the police raided the club for bookmaking even though they found the game going they made no arrests for the poker game (some players were targets of the bookmaking investigation, but the guy running the poker game wasn't charged and the dealer wasn't charged. All the money was taken, but given back the next day. Another game I played in was robbed and there were gunshots fired. The police actually lied to the local media and told them it was just a friendly home game when in fact it was obvious to anyone including the police who walked in what was going on. But in another town they have reacted differently.