View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 11:55 AM

Default Re: beginners questions

[ QUOTE ]
No matter what poker variation I play, as long as I win money, it's fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
(Note: assume 6-max for all games)

Then NL is your game.

The rake is a killer at low stakes lhe. Also, the format of the games limits villains mistakes. And you have to play pretty much picture perfect to generate a decent win-rate (no tilting, no leaks etc).

In microstakes-smallstakes NL you can pretty much avoid any marginal/difficult decisions and still be a winner. And the rake is a much smaller issue. You raise preflop to get it HU and then c-bet the flop and take it down 70% of the time. If you get meet resistance you give up (double barreling only when situation calls for it).

If you flop the nuts then bet/bet/bet and get calling stations to stack of (which is a much bigger mistake than they could ever make in lhe). If you hit TPTK then bet flop, check behind on turn for pot-control and to make your river decision easier (not always maximally EV but usually best for beginners) and then either call a river bet, bet for value (and fold to a big raise) or check behind if the river is scary. And if somebody raises and you have a PP you can almost always call for implied set-odds, and when you hit you often get paid off big-time.

And here's the kicker.

At the moment, a decent win-rate for lhe is 1BB/100. For NL it's around 4-5ptbb/100 (ptbb = 2xbig blind).

You need around 750BB bankroll for lhe (some say more), and 30 buyins for NL (some say less). So NL100 and 2/4 LHE are roughly equivalent (750*4 = 3k, 100*30 = 3k). So your winrate is $4/100 for 2/4 lhe but $8/100 for NL100. On top of that is the fact that NL is much easier to multitable (I play 2-3 tables of LHE and 4-6 tables of NL).