View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Any other college grads with no desire to settle for corp. America?

At one time in my life, I had the "I gotta make it BIG TIME" attitude. But then I started to make some money and I realized that the notion of 'making it big time' is a stupid and a foolish aspiration.

My attitude now is that I want to have enough money that work is optional and I can do the things that I want to do with my time, i.e., hang out with all the relatives that thought the risks I was taking were foolhardy. [note: those same family members later bacame my best investors]. I don't need to have $100 million in assets to have the kind of life I want.

The problem for me early on was that I didn't really know what kind of life I DID want. Turns out that having a lot of fancy and expensive stuff isn't that great, and exotic vacations all the time is too stressful. I realized pretty quicky that the kind of life I want includes reading, cultivating good friendships, community service, spending time with family, etc.

The power of wealth is that it buys you freedom to DO the things you want. Time is your only real commodity.

The general point that I'm trying to make is that IMO its better to focus on having enough. When you focus on having enough, the steps to attaining that goal suddenly seem so much easier.

Here is an article written by a real estate investor that I've learned a lot from.