View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 11:44 AM

Default Re: OT: Holy [censored], I\'m Getting Married!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any of you old married men wanna throw out a word of advice that you wish you had when you first took the plunge?

[/ QUOTE ]

credentials - 40 yr old, happily married over my head for 18 years.

(1) For her: "Every man wants his wife to be a lady in front of his friends and a whore in the bedroom"

(2) Not every secret needs to be told.

(3) The best way to not break promises is to not make them. If you do make them, keep them. Trust is required in marriage and it's very hard to get back if you lose it.

(4) Under promise - over perform.

(5) Don't ever go to bed mad.

(6) Her clock isn't anywhere near finished at 24, enjoy each other. When kids come, there will be times when those memories you're making now will get you to the next day.

(7) If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

(8) Honor her and ask her to honor you. DO NOT talk bad about her to your parents/friends and ask that she doesn't also. Many times after you've gotten passed a small bump the in-laws/friends will hold on to that fault for a looooong time.

None of that should be new, but don't forget it.

Congratulations and good luck!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. This is all good. Wish I could do even some of the above.

Buying flowers once in a while is about as far as I get but it's amazing how far that gets you.

Anyway, good luck. I've been married for seven often rocky years but I've never regretted it. The institution of marriage rocks.