View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 05:10 AM

Default Re: The decider is the ego

[ QUOTE ]
I often post about psychology and often I get such negative responses and always I discover that they are just sophomoric bluff and bluster.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you think there are valid criticisms of psychology and in particular the kind of Freudian and Jungian analysis you often post? Just curious.

I enjoy reading your different take on the world, but mostly criticize it because I don't find it insightful or useful in any way. I suspect with less self importance and a little more critical thought, the authors you quote could be interesting and useful.

For example, what is the point of this particular passage?

[ QUOTE ]
“The ego, the unique “psychological organ” of the higher primates, develops by skewing perceptions and by limiting action.” Early in the infants life the “ego grows by a dispossession of the child’s own inner world. The mechanisms of defense are, after all, par excellence techniques of self-deception.”

[/ QUOTE ]
What exactly is the author talking about, and why is he using the word ego instead of "self restraint", "considered action", "thoughtfulness" and so on? Also, where is the evidence that

(a) Any of this occurs
(b) the process is harmful or negative
(c) it can be improved?

Let's have a look at each of these statements individually.

[ QUOTE ]
The ego, the unique “psychological organ” of the higher primates, develops by skewing perceptions and by limiting action.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a very imprecise statement. The author writes as if the ego is some beast growing inside us, telling us what to do and changing what we see. That's all well and good, but where does the ego end and the brain/mind/individual begin? If I learn that touching a hot stove is painful, and avoid it, is that my ego stopping me? Or instinct? If I learn that it hurts when I do something naughty (via a smack), ego or instinct? If I learn that kids only want to play with me if I share, and act accordingly, is that ego or something else? It seems the author has arbitrarily defined this beast called the ego and chucked everything in there. How is that useful?

[ QUOTE ]
Early in the infants life the “ego grows by a dispossession of the child’s own inner world.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can someone explain what this means in precise language? This sentence is gobbledygook. I could write a similar statement thus, about relationships:

"Early on in relationships, the mongo grows by a dispossession of each individual's unique identity."

Sounds nice, but is it really meaningful?

[ QUOTE ]
The mechanisms of defense are, after all, par excellence techniques of self-deception.”

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, this lacks precision. Can you give an example?