View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 12:57 AM

Default Re: OT: Holy [censored], I\'m Getting Married!

Congrats dude.

I'm 32...married for 3.5 years and have a 9 month old son.

Some advice:

1. Drink lots of water during the reception. You'll end up dehydrated otherwise, especially if it's humid. It happened to me and I had the worst headache of my life afterwards.

2. Remember that you're committing to someone for the long-term, and that long-term love is different than short-term. If life, when you act, think about how you'll feel about what you are doing when you look back in 5 minutes, 5 years and 50 years.

3. She's not perfect. Neither are you. Love her strengths and accept her faults. It's what makes her who she is. If she was perfect she wouldn't be with you. Not an insult, but she just wouldn't need a partner and that's better than having just another girl.

4. Always be respectful. She's a person too with feelings, thoughts, and aspirations.

5. If she violates any of the rules above, let her know and explain their importance to you. If she does something that irks you, just f**ing talk about it. Don't let anger fester.

6. In 6-12 months it's gonna hit you that you are never having sex with another woman. Damn that really sucks. It's ok to feel some regret. Especially when some pretty young thing comes around and makes you think that she's interested. Just remember that you have a life partner.

7. Check out High Fidelity (the book or the movie, both were good).

8. Def wait a few years to have a kid. Having my son is the best thing that ever happened to me. But it's all consuming. You are 24 and you guys should enjoy the things in life that require less attachments, like travel, spending money, etc. When it happens though, life becomes so much more meaningful.

Good luck.

Where in NY are you getting married btw? I got married on Long Island, at the Port Jefferson Country Club.