View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Re: hand help for MLHE quizzes

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the responses. I'll limit how much time I spend trying to figure out where I differ with MLHE and start spending some time in the strategy forums. As far as live play goes, I play almost every weekend in AC and will continue to do so. I'll post hands I have questions about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of the unmentioned benefit of MLHE is that for new players, the wealth of hand histories was very useful.

MLHE predated the internet poker phenomenon and there weren't vast pools of players who had hundreds of thousands of hands under their belts and had seen, considered and had data on how to best handle the countless tricky situations found in MLHE.

The the book was oriented around hand histories was useful to players who could only gain experience at 30 hands an hour.

If you are one of these players and if you only or primarily play live, MLHE will still be of some use to you. Other books (SSHE, HEFAP, King Yao's WTO) will all provide better strategic advice, but none give you the wealth of hands to consider as does MLHE.

The games have changed drastically since MLHE was written. Much of the advice in there will get you killed, especially if playing online. It would be helpful to have a solid grounding in solid play before reading MLHE as some of the time you should be mentally disagreeing with the authors' play as you read.

Also, John Feeney's "Inside the Poker Mind" is very helpful for a player transitioning to live MLHE games. That was the purpose for which it was written. I'd rank it well ahead of MLHE for usefulness.