View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

I probably don't play enough NL cash to fully Grok the essence of the recos in the book, but overall the SPR and Commitment Threshold concepts are clearly very thought provoking.

I found the "but what if you raised 6BB w/KK" advise to be not helpful and in clear violation of the FTP. I understand it was "an example" of how you might think things through, but let's be honest, people will do it and either: 1. get the table to fold, or 2. get called and then have to assume that villain made a set when there's action after the Flop on a ragged board. How do you continue with anything other than a set having advertised your hand by the 6BB bet? Do you throw in a 6BB raise with 78 to mix it up?

Overall, my sense of NLHE (again this is from a limited sample) is that you either Flop a set or a straight or you're done either by folding or going turtle by c/c if the action is not strong. I'm not discounting flushes, I've seen more people get stacked by overplaying overpair and TP and losing to sets and str8s than to higher flushes.

Big pocket pairs and even suited aces don't seem to play as well as do connectors, suited or not, or SPP on flopped sets. A three flush on board might get action from a set or smaller flush but suited Aces may not be the great hand that they are in loose limit HE games when it only costs Villain a bet or 2 and not potentially their whole stack.

The average NL pot on Stars looks like about 14-20BB. If by the Turn there are 8BB and we have a OESD or DBB, can't we call 4BB in the hopes of the 8/45 shot coming on the river and stacking Villain?