View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 09:12 AM

Default Re: FLO8 - Fluctations or Mistakes?

[ QUOTE ]
Betting the river OOP is sketchy here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, it's marginal.

[ QUOTE ]

I know that you WANT to believe that you're still good, but there are simply too many ways in which you are not.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, my decision is not whether my hand is good, (I thought it was likely 2nd best in fact) but whether a bet or check/call, or check/fold has the most +ve EV.

In ToP on River play, it explains it. But as I expect 3 callers (yes 3) when my hand is good, when I bet I do not need to win even 50% of time!

Say 4 ppl call, and 1 splits with me, then I earn a bet.

I don't feel J8 str8 will raise, and I'll only have to call MP2 because he's the only player who'd may be raise here with a worse hand. So due to MP2 calling range, and higher liklihood of his holding a low raggy hand, or a pocket pair, I felt I'd rarely be calling his 2 bet raise, and sometimes when I do, I'll catch a bluff.

Think ToP explains multi-way river decisions, after the "Heads Up on the River" section, it's poorly understood, but beginner's often play better here in reality than the battle scared.

The hard thing multi-way is the exponential increase in quality of best hand, you do need a near nut hand most often in PLO8, but actually it's a subtle mistake to just be a nuts bettor.

[ QUOTE ]

Whether you c/f or c/c is player-dependent but leans toward c/f.

As I'm sure you know, limit poker is a game of winning and/or saving one bet here and one bet there. A bet saved is a bet won. If you're bleeding in the way shown in this hand with any amount of regularity, it would account for your "variance."

[/ QUOTE ]
The games are very easy to beat, when they're good. The tough thing is to find good games at my usual playing time. Looser or tighter, is fine. The mid-zone of caller collusion is the problem.

[ QUOTE ]

If you find yourself at tables full of tight-weakies, consider being that aggressor -- build your own pots. It isn't likely that you're going to get the help on that level. (It's fun too.)

[/ QUOTE ]
They'll happily take free cards in PLO8. In Hold'em there's far more players who assist in building pots and trapping Fish for multiple bets.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, in today's online poker world, at least from the US perspective, it's really hard to make any $ online at the lower limits. There are too many competent hobbyists and not enough fish. It's going to be really hard to meaningfully beat the rake at 50 cent FLO8.

(Could you tell me how the play is from the UK on the other sites that have barred US players? If it's softer, consider playing there.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the only place I can find a game or two is Poker Stars now. When I can play at 3pm ET especially Fridays, it seems the games are much softer. Or if I can play around 2am-3am ET, the games are often good with tilty US players.

European players tend to play PLO or PLO8 not FLO8.

That's another reason to consider PLO8, simply higher game availability, as well as not requiring other 'Action' players to build pots.